Friday, August 19, 2011

The Battle of New Market Heights: Freedom Will Be Theirs By The Sword Now Available For Pre-Order!


Well, after two years of research and writing I am happy to finally be able to say that my battle history of New Market Heights is now available for pre-order from The History Press! The official release date is September 15th, so if you want to be sure that you have a copy in your hands on that day, be sure to order your copy today!

From the Publisher:

In the predawn darkness of September 29, 1864, black Union soldiers attacked a heavily fortified position on the outskirts of the Confederate capital of Richmond. In a few hours of desperate fighting, these African American soldiers struck a blow against Robert E. Lee’s vaunted Army of Northern Virginia and proved to detractors that they could fight for freedom and citizenship for themselves and their enslaved brethren. For fourteen of the black soldiers who stormed New Market Heights that day, their bravery would be awarded with the nation’s highest honor—the Congressional Medal of Honor. With vivid firsthand accounts and meticulous tactical detail, James S. Price brings the Battle of New Market Heights into brilliant focus, with maps by master cartographer Steven Stanley.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'll be sure to pick this one up.
    Are you doing any research on the First Kansas Colored Volunteers? Their fight at the Battle of Island Mound was the first combat a black regiment saw in the war, even though their unit was illegal at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jimmy! I can't wait to read it. That's two old F'ers that are now authors - My Seventh South Carolina Cavalry, to the Defense of Richmond, Broadfoot Publishing, is just out. I would love to take a walking tour with you at New Market Heights sometime soon and find the position of Gary's Brigade.

    Cheers,

    Marc Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Horror (pardon me for the lack of a better form of address):

    Thank you for your kind words. While I am very fascinated with the 1st Kansas and Big Jim Lane, I am currently not doing any research on the Battle of Island Mound.

    Marc,

    Good to hear from you, sir! (And for those of you who are wondering why I’m not upset that this man called me an “F’er,” that is a reference to my time spent with F Company, 21st VA and not a slur.) Congratulations on your new book – I only wish it had been around when I was writing mine, since the 7th was in the thick of the fight! As far as the position of Gary’s Brigade is concerned, I’m afraid the portion of the line held by his men is private property nowadays. From what I can tell, they were roughly where Turner Road intersects with Route 5. Still, I’m hoping my book will raise awareness of the preservation issues surrounding what’s left of the NMH battlefield and that the long-proposed park that the County has been talking about for nearly a decade will become a reality.

    Best,

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete